Don't gamble with money you cannot afford to lose
Betfree is an online casino and sportsbook with an incredibly ironic name. That is because of its arbitrary and unnecessary fees. Betting here will be anything but free, as result of them! The fees are applied on every withdrawal you make, as well as winning from the sportsbook in certain countries. This is a very unfortunate policy, and one which absolutely cannot be justified by any casino nowadays.
Regardless, that’s not the only issue with Betfree. There are, for instance, barely any bonuses you can get. And what is available is then burdened by annoying restrictions. It seems that this casino is just not very generous to the player overall.
Its deposit conditions are also pretty underwhelming, as there are very few deposit methods, cashing in can take a while and the minimum deposit amounts are a bit rigid in our view. Withdrawing is not much better – as we said, there are unjustifiable fees, but players looking to cash out would also suffer from long withdrawal times. Not to mention that there are low maximums you can cash out.
On the other hand, this casino also does a lot of things great. It is licensed, with one of the most popular regulators nowadays, at that. Furthermore, the casino features a truly impressive library of games. Sourced from over 100 Suppliers, there are over 8000 titles to discover.
Can we recommend the casino, and are its many flaws worth ignoring on virtue of its great amount of available games? Let’s take a closer look at it, in order to be able to determine just that:
As with any online casino nowadays, many players will judge Betfree by the promotions it provides access to. Unfortunately, these promotions are pretty underwhelming. We should mention that, even though there is Sports betting available, there’s not even a single bonus which is dedicated to it! Instead, the promotions apply only for Casino games.
And even so, there’s just two bonuses, with one of them only available once, on your first deposit. Let’s take a look at their conditions:
|Cash out limit
|Casino Welcome Bonus
|100% up to €1000 + 100 spins
|10% up to €2000
Let’s dig a bit deeper into these promotions now, and see whether they are worthwhile:
- The Casino Welcome Bonus is a pretty big staple of online gambling nowadays. The promotion here is not that great, though. Sure, the minimum deposit of €20 is decent enough, and falls in line with what the majority of casinos these days require of the player. The amount of bonus funds you can get is calculated as 100% of what you have deposited. The maximum of €1000 is fairly generous, as well, and the 100 Free Spins for Big Bass Bonanza are pretty enticing. However, there is a pretty major downside of the bonus. It has a 50x wagering requirement for the bonus cash. A wagering requirement simply represents the amount of times you need to play through a bonus to be able to cash it out. By itself, that’s not an uncommon condition. The issue we take with this one is that the range such requirements are usually found in is around 30x to 40x at most. And this one is much higher! Additionally, even though you can play Table games with it, as well as bet on Game Shows and so on, only bets on Slots will contribute to the requirement. The Free Spins have a 35x wagering requirement for their winnings, which is fair enough. We don’t see why both components of the bonus couldn’t have the same requirements! Furthermore, there’s also a cash out limit of 10x the issued bonus, which is a bit too restrictive, given the high wagering requriement.
- Secondly, there’s a Weekly Cashback Bonus, which players can claim once every seven days. This promotion is said to recover between 5% and 10% of your weekly losses “based on player activity”. Now, what that means is pretty much up to anyone’s guess! None of the percentages are really all that bad, and 5% is fair enough as far as cashbacks are concerned. We just wish the conditions of the bonus were clearer. The maximum you can recover is €2000 each week – fair enough. There’s also a minimum amount that can be credited to your account, of just €1, which is also fair enough. However, the bonus is restricted to Slots and Table Games. So, you cannot get a cashback from Game Shows, or Crash games, and so on. Furthermore, the cashback amount you get from Table games is calculated as 10% of the losses. This means you can get 0.5% to 1% of the losses credited to your account at the end of the day. Most other casinos have much more robust cashback percentages for Table games. Another issue with the bonus is the fact that the casino does not mention what its wagering requirement and cash out limits are. Now, sometimes, these bonuses are free from such restrictions, but we would have liked to see that explicitly confirmed.
So, that’s all Betfree has to offer in terms of bonuses. We would have liked to see more deposit bonuses be available, and, in particular, ones which can be claimed multiple times. That would have given the player an incentive to keep cashing in with the house. Similarly, a VIP program which rewards players for sticking around with the casino would be very welcome, too!
Regulation is one of the first things we look for in any casino we review. And we are happy to say that Betfree did satisfy us in this regard. Here is what the house has to say about its license:
Supposedly, said license is issued by Gambling Curacao – one of the most popular regulatory bodies in the world. Before we examine why that is the case, how can we be sure that Betfree is actually telling the truth? Well, all we need to do in order to verify such claims is find the Digital Seal of the license issuer. The one on the website of this casino is visible in the previous screenshot. It is the colorful logo to the left corner of the image. Clicking on it brings the player to the following page from the register of Gaming Curacao:
It is this page which confirms the claim that the casino is licensed. But what does that mean, and why do casinos set out to obtain their licenses in Curacao? Well, the regulatory regime there is a bit less strict. So, while they still have to comply with certain standards, they are not as restricted in their services as they would be with other bodies like the Malta Gambling Authority or the UK Gambling Commission. This is good for the player, too – they can get access to reliable regulatory protections and guarantees, while, on average, claiming higher bonuses. Here is what said protections and guarantees look like:
- Regulators pay a lot of attention on the fairness of the games you can play. You can be sure that the houses you are dealing with are actually paying out as much as they are supposed to, because they have been audited. Each of said games has its own Random number generator – a complex mathematical algorithm, which determines the outcomes of bets. It is these generators which are tested, in order to prove that they are actually fair to the player and pay out as much as they are supposed to. The term “certifiably fair”, which you might have seen some casinos use refers to this testing process. And, of course, only licensed casinos can actually be certifiably fair!
- Another important aspect of casino regulation is the strict protections which are enacted for your personal data. There is a lot of information on each player which houses need to collect. From their names and addresses, to their payment information, ID cards, phone numbers and so on. Needless to say, that kind of data leaking could cause you a lot of harm. With licensed casinos, though, you can always be sure that it will be encrypted. This encryption is done using some of the strictest standards for cyber security nowadays. Casino data banks being breached is a very rare occurrence, thanks to precisely this policy!
- Finally, we should mention that casinos nowadays which hold licenses by Gaming Curacaos take the issue of problem gambling seriously. They need to offer players a reliable range of self-exclusion methods, which are always on their disposal. Among them are the ability to set a custom deposit limit, or enable reality checks. You can also close down you account unilaterally, should that turn out to be necessary! Additionally, these houses are required to provide you with sufficient information so you can know what problem gambling can look like. They also need to offer you access to means of getting help, should you need that. All of these measures are called responsible gambling options, and help foster a safer and more fun environment for every casino game player.
Overall, we are very happy that Betfree is fully licensed and offers the important protections we just mentioned. It is always important to make sure you are dealing with a regulated house.
With that in mind, let’s get back to the review. We would be amiss if we did not mention that the casino has a pretty accessible website, translated to over a dozen different languages. Here’s what those are:
Languages: English, Spanish, French, Italian, Hungarian, Norwegian, Polish, Portuguese, Finnish, Vietnamese, Russian, Chinese, Hindi, Arabic, Japanese, Korean;
We often appreciate casinos which make sure that everyone feels welcome and can browse the website of the house in their native tongue. Of course, it’s not possible to include all the languages in the world as options, but we consider the more of them to be available, the better.
That said, even though Betfree is pretty welcoming to players from all over the world, certain countries have strict rules about online gambling. As result, if you are a resident of one of the following countries, you will not be able to sign up with the casino:
Restricted countries: Australia, Germany, Netherlands, United Kingdom, American Samoa, Aruba, Austria, Bonaire, Sint Eustatius and Saba, Curaçao, France, French Guiana, French Polynesia, French Southern Lands, Netherlands Antilles, Saint Martin (French part), Sint Maarten (Dutch part), South Georgia and South Sandwich Islands, Spain, United States, United States Minor Outlying Islands, Virgin Islands, U.S.;
Deposit and Withdrawal
The payment policies with the casino are where most of our issues with the house manifest themselves. We consider said conditions to be very uncompetitive. First off, there’s just two ways of depositing. These are via credit cards and crypto. The more payment methods a house has, the better it can meet the needs of the player. This also extends to payment methods! If Betfree had e-wallets, e-vouchers, or even bank transfers, as accepted payments, more people would feel comfortable cashing in. Instead, you are restricted to credit cards and cryptocurrencies. Here is an outline of what those means of deposit have in terms of conditions, and what FIAT and crypto currencies you can use with the house:
|up to 5 days
|up to 5 days
Currencies: Euro (EUR), Bitcoin (BTC), Ethereum (ETH), Tether (USDT), Dogecoin (DOGE), USD Coin (USDC), Binance Coin (BNB), XRP;
The minimum deposit amount for credit cards is fair enough, set to €20. That’s on the high end of what most houses accept these days, but not over the top. On the other hand, being required to cash in at least €50 to deposit via crypto is definitely not acceptable! There’s no reason to have such a substantially higher entry cost for the payment method. Not to mention that most casinos nowadays actually have lower minimum deposits for it.
Another issue is that the Terms and Conditions of the casino specify that it can take between 1 and 5 days for the funds to be credited to your account, after the house has received them. This is incredibly puzzling. 99% of casinos these days can facilitate instant deposits, and there’s no reason for Betfree not to be able to do so either.
There can be a fee for depositing, too. We generally don’t expect to see such fees, and the only fees you generally would have to worry about are third party charges, which are miner fees, credit card fees and so on. The fee by Betfree can be as high as 5% of the size of the deposit!
With that in mind, let’s take a look at the withdrawal conditions of the casino:
|up to 10 days
|up to 10 days
Every aspect of these is problematic. First off, there is still only two payment methods you can use, which is an issue. Secondly, the minimum withdrawal amounts are the same. The minimum you can cash out via crypto is very high! On the other hand, the maximum withdrawals allowed per transactions are just €500, which is not acceptable nowadays.
Neither is the fact that there is a withdrawal fee. Here is what Betfree has to say about it:
According to the clause, the house will charge you a fixed fee of 5% of the withdrawal amount to cover administrative charges. What are those charges? They seem to be the third party fees we mentioned. Such fees are never as high as 5% of the transaction, of course, and this is where the issue lies. It is not acceptable for any withdrawal fees to be asked for by a casino these days! We should also mention that there is a vast processing time for withdrawals of between 5 and 10 days. Realistically, most requests to cash out will probably be processed within 5 days, but that is still not acceptable!
We should also mention that there is a clause, according to which you need to wager the money you have deposited at least once before you are allowed to withdraw any of it. If you fail to do so, you would have to pay a 10% penalty fee. Of course, that clause is nothing exclusive to Betfree. And we actually consider it to be one of the least problematic policies of the casino when it comes to withdrawals. Such clauses are required as an AML requirement.
There is also an inactive account fee to deal with:
This fee is just €5 per month, and starts being charged after 12 months of inactivity. It is a common part of the policies of any casino these days to include such fees, and we are not concerned with this one whatsoever. Still, it’s worth keeping in mind!
Games and Game Suppliers
After covering the payment policies of the casino, which were undoubtedly the worst aspect of its services, it’ time to cover the best one too – the games library. There are over 100 Game Suppliers which the house has partnered with, in order to deliver its various Slots, Table Games, Live games and more. Let’s take a look:
Game providers: Play’n GO, PragmaticPlay, Red Tiger Gaming, Revolver Gaming, Microgaming, Bet2Tech, Igrosoft, Ggames, Relax Gaming, Hacksaw, Nolimit City, 1x2gaming, 4ThePlayer, Amatic, Amigo Gaming, AvatarUX, BGaming, BetGames.tv, Betsolutions, Betsoft, Big Time Gaming, Blue Guru Games, Boldplay, Booming Games, CT Interactive, Charismatic, Concept Gaming, ELK, Electric Elephant, Elysium Studios, Endorphina, Espresso Games, Evoplay, Ezugi, Fantasma, Fazi, Four Leaf Gaming, Foxium, Fugaso, GameArt, Gamevy, Gamzix, Habanero, Just For The Win, KA Gaming, Kalamba, Lightning Box, MPlay, Macaw Gaming, Mascot, Manna Play, NetEnt, NetGaming, Northern Lights, PGSoft, OneTouch, Petersons, Platipus, Print Studios, Playson, Quickspin, Real Time Gaming, Rabat, Red Rake, Retro Gaming, RubyPlay, Silverback, Skywind, Slotmill, Smartsoft Gaming, Spade Gaming, Spinmatic, Spinomenal, Spribe, Storm Gaming, Swintt, Thunderkick, Tom Horn, Triple Cherry, TrueLab, Turbogames, Vibra Gaming, Wazdan, Other;
We don’t usually get to see so many Suppliers! Instead, houses launch with around 50 of them. Still, let’s take a look at what is available in terms of games, too:
- Slots: There are tons of recognizable Slots available, like Sugar Rush, Mustang Gold, Sweet Bonanza Candyland, Elvis Frog, Big Bass Bonanza, Book of Dead, Gates of Olympus and Wolf’s Gold. Sadly, the games are pretty disorganized, and you cannot filter them by either theme or mechanics. This means browsing them is a bit of a pain!
- Table Games: No casino experience is complete without a visit to the Baccarat, Poker, Blackjack tables, or the Roulettes. Such classic table games and more await you in the library of Betfree, playable with both live and virtual money dealers.
- Game Shows: As an experience, Game Shows are unique to online casinos. With Betfree, you can find a lot of them, like Deal or no Deal, Crazy Time, Mega Wheel, Crazy Coin Flip and more!
- Instant Games: This section contains all of your favorite Crash games, like Aviator, Plinko and Mines. There are a lot of them too – the house has over 100 Crash games at the time of writing, surpassing most casinos!
The sportsbook with the casino, on the other hand, is a big disappointment. First off, we should point out that there is a maximum win of up to €15 000 per day on Sports betting. Secondly, check out this curious clause:
According to it, certain players will have to pay a 5% fee on their winnings to the casino. The list of countries is not available, of course. But even if it were, the clause is pretty blatant and absolutely unacceptable. Next, the house seems to only offer Virtual sports betting and wagers on Esports. Massive markets like Football, Cricket, Basketball, do not seem to be available at all. This makes Betfree a terrible place for sports fans to bet.
Betfree is a very underwhelming casino. We cannot say that its extensive library of games saves it. That is because to play them, you would still have to deal with the annoying deposit and withdrawal conditions of the house. Not to mention that sports betting is barely available with it, too. So, we recommend checking out one of the houses on the top of this article instead, or browsing our other reviews, to find a better online casino!